Thames Water Self Certified Build Over Agreement

You have thought about improving your property by enlarging it or even finding a perfect location to build a new home. If you dream of all the future possibilities, you will notice a well or even wells exactly where the foundations of a new structure would go. If pipelines are available where you plan to build, it is very advisable to get permission from Thames Water. If pipes are located near the building you want to build in, this could have an impact on the design of the building. In addition to reviewing the municipality`s building rules, it is important that you work with us to ensure that the pipes are protected and that our access to the municipality is not restricted. It is quite possible to obtain a self-certified construction agreement if the building meets all the following conditions: – a one or two storey construction that is grown on existing land. – No obvious problems with sewers, such as odours, constipation or flooding. – Access points to the pipe, such as wells, inspection chambers or bar genes, are at least 500 mm outside the building. – Sewers must not change in diameter, direction, materials or gradients under or next to the proposed building. – The sewers are no more than 2 m underground. – The sewers are no more than 160 mm in diameter. – The sewers are made of clay or plastic. – The building is built on foundations of stripes or trenches.

– The sewers are in good condition. – No relief or alliance is for sewers. – If buildings are all the width of the garden, the sewers can still be accessed by the neighbouring garden. – Minimum distances are respected according to Figure 3. If you cannot safely answer any of the questions asked in our online questionnaire or in the questions above, or if you know you are not qualified, you need an approved construction agreement. If you have a construction contract for a domestic channel no more than 160 mm in diameter, you can continue the authorized work. When planning your work, you should check for pipes nearby. If so, you may need our approval before the work begins.

You must then apply to us in accordance with the 2010 construction code. These are imposed by the local authorities, but they have a duty to consult with us when they know that a channel could be set up. If you can build above or near a domestic channel 160 mm in diameter or less and show that your plans pose a low risk to the pipe, we may be able to grant a self-certified construction agreement. Class 1 and 2 costs cover all processing and contracting stages, and Class 3 would require an additional budget for Thames Water`s legal fees and investigations, which can amount to thousands of pounds more. You do not need our consent if you build outside these distances.